STOP, LOOK, LISTEN
Pedestrians have to share the road with vehicles so it is important they take care when crossing the road. As a pedestrian, plan where you will walk and always choose the safest place to cross a road.
STOP,LISTEN ,LOOK ,THINK
- Stop, Look, Listen, Think
Follow the safe road crossing procedure – STOP, LOOK, LISTEN and THINK.
- STOP one step back from the kerb or shoulder of the road if there is no footpath.
- LOOK in all directions for approaching traffic.
- LISTEN in all directions for approaching traffic.
- THINK about whether it is safe to cross the road – when the road is clear or all traffic has stopped.
- When crossing, walk straight across the road. Keep LOOKING and LISTENING for traffic while crossing.
- This information is particularly relevant to young people learning to cross roads. But it also provides a useful reminder to everyone particularly to those who may be distracted when crossing the road.